Original gravity was 1.046, held in secondary fermenter about six
months before bottling (on 3/29) at a final gravity of 1.012. Why so
long? Time to mature and for the various flavors in this somewhat
eclectic brew to mingle. Initial samplings are favorable, but we need to
build some carbonation to see the full results.
- 3 quarts water at 130 degrees F for 30 min
- 1-1.5 lb pale malt
- 1 lb crystal malt
- .75 lb chocolate malt
- Add 2 qt. hot coffee (!) to bring to 150 degrees, hold 10 min.
- Raise temp to 158 degrees, hold 15 min, add to brewpot.
- Boil 6-6.5 lb dry extract in as much water as you can.
- Simmer 1 oz. Northern Brewer hops pellets 45 min, for bittering
- Simmer 1 oz. Goldings hops pellets 15 min, for finishing, along
with a 3 inch stick of cinnamon bark.
- Chill into fermenter and make up to 5 gallons.
- Dry hop with 0.5 oz plug of Goldings hops
- Pitch 750ml Wyeast 1868 London Ale yeast.
Final opinions: Worthwhile attempt, but needs perhaps more cinnamon, which is
invisible, and more coffee for the flavor to become apparent.